Who we are
Smart Direct (Europe) Ltd (“We”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is Smart Direct (Europe) Ltd, Units D & E Freeth Street, Colwick, Nottingham, NG2 3GT.
This policy applies to our business including our website and email campaigns. If you click on any links to external web pages or otherwise, you will be subject to their policies and terms. We have no control over their policy or the terms of their website and recommend that you should check their policies before continuing to access the site.
What personal data we collect and why we collect it
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on smart-direct.net (our website). This includes information provided at the time of registering for an online account, subscribing to our mailing list and any other form filled in by you.
- For users that register on our website, we store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
- Details taken when you contact us regarding any issues, we may keep a record of that correspondence until the matter has been resolved.
- Details of your visits to our website including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs, operating system, browser usage and other communication data, this is used to try and improve our services and site functionality.
- Information taken when booking appointments, getting quotations, placing orders or similar. The information we collect may include: your name, business name and address, delivery addresses, email address and telephone number. We keep this information for as long as necessary and then this is deleted from our system.
- Information used for invoicing purposes, order tracking purposes and other legitimate business purposes.
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To send you out samples, set up trade accounts, set up online accounts, to send you offers, latest news and product launches.
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer, to improve online services and communications.
- To provide you with information or products that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To carry out any services that you have asked of us, such as providing you with information or images via email or post or delivering goods that have been ordered by you.
- To process orders and issue invoices and to ensure an efficient service is provided to you as well as keeping records for HMRC or other relevant governing bodies.
- To notify you about changes to our services or products.
If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual and we will not collect personal information in this way.
We may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive. They help us to improve our site and to deliver a better and more personalised service. They enable us:
- To estimate our audience size and usage pattern.
- To store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our site according to your individual interests.
- To speed up your searches.
- To recognise you when you return to our site.
Where we store your personal data
All information that we collect is stored securely; either in locked filing cabinets or on our password protected computer systems. We also have up to date firewall and anti-virus software to ensure your data is kept safe.
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to third parties but we will never sell your personal details to any third party:
We only share your data with third parties for legitimate business reasons such as; with delivery companies that help us deliver your materials, suppliers who supply products and services on our behalf, lawyers representing us in the event of a legal claim, regulators and law enforcement agencies (if there is a legal reason to share your data with them), or any reason which helps with the running of the business.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for any marketing purposes. This may be in the form of sending offers via postcard or email, your address and name will be on postcards which will be seen by the courier only.
Also, if you would like us to delete any records of any of your details, unsubscribe from a mailing list or not have your details used for marketing, please contact us and we will assist you in doing this. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Access to information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request will be dealt with as soon as possible but within 7 working days.